Let’s Dig In and Have Fun Cooking!
Kids love to cook—especially during quarantine when we are all home together. Kids are feeling bored, missing their friends; and especially now that summer is upon us and school is over, they want to be more creative than ever. Cooking is one of our favorite things to do at home. Here are some fun tips to make this a great bonding experience:
1. Have your child pick out some fun recipes and decide on a day of the week they are in charge of cooking (of course with parental supervision.)
2. Write down all the ingredients needed and go shopping. Shopping can be a fun opportunity to spend time together. As we have been quarantined for the past few months, kids more than ever need to spend that alone time with you and feel special. Shopping is a great opportunity to teach healthy ways of eating and how to shop smart. One tip is shopping for items all around the grocery store versus in the center. This is also a chance for your child to be open to trying new food groups such as introducing them to a new veggie or fruit. The key is for your child to feel in control as they will be cooking.
3. Once you get home, help your child wash, clean all the items you will be using, and organize it on the counter. Help them be safe with cutting and assist as needed.
4. Once the meal is prepared, have them be creative in setting up the table, placing the food items on the plate, and making it special.
5. I put this last, but this is so vital and - trust me - something I had to let go of myself as a parent. Allow the mess to occur! No worries, cleaning up can be fun as well. It’s important for them to learn to be involved. This allows for independence, control, and above all to have fun together!
Wishing you a happy and safe cooking experience:)